If possible, please consult with me in advance and inform me of your due date, so I can be prepared. Please arrange for someone to call or text me after you go into labor, and I will confirm a time I can come. Please arrange for your doctor or midwife to place the placenta in an airtight container (64oz. round is ideal) and refrigerate as soon as possible. If you’re comfortable with it, double plastic-wrap the placenta or put it in a plastic baggie. Placentas that have been properly frozen can also be encapsulated up to 6 months after the birth – protect from freezer-burn.
I come and pick up your placenta to prepare at my home, or I can bring equipment and prepare the placenta in yours. If I work in your home, I’m happy to assist with care during the process and allow you to rest, or baby chat and bring samples of cloth diapers, holistic remedies, baby slings, demonstrate elimination communication, and discuss other natural parenting issues. Upon request, I may be able to provide samples of:
– Homemade Korean vegetarian mommy blessing seaweed soup. Standard for generations of Korean mommies to eat daily. Replaces iron and improves breastmilk production, and symbolizes longevity. Also traditionally eaten on birthdays.
– Fenugreek seeds for tea to improve breastmilk production
I say a blessing prayer with each placenta, which you are welcome to participate in, or refuse. I then:
1. Remove the umbilical cord
2. Wrap the placenta in the amniotic sac
3. Steam the placenta whole with lemon and ginger
4. Remove the amniotic sac
5. Slice the placenta into thin strips
7. Grind into powder
8. Place into vegetarian capsules
9. Deliver in a recycled glass jar
Complimentary options include:
• reserving the liquid from steaming (you may consume this broth)
• reserving slices of steamed placenta
• reserving slices of placenta jerky
• reserving placenta powder for other recipes or ceremonies
Many people say placenta taste and texture resembles liver.
The preparation takes about 9 hours. I take care to maintain sanitary conditions. My process produces zero waste.
You can begin taking the capsules right away, 3 times daily, for 4-6 weeks, and as needed when fatigued or blue. Store in freezer. You may also share the pills with family members.
Others have photodocumented a process is similar to mine. (Caution: graphic)
I charge a flat rate of $300, payable when I pick up, cash or check to “David Chung.” Barter considered.